Quick Tips.

'Ouch Charlie' 
Every dancer will admit that at some point in their training or professional life they have experienced shin splints to some degree. Some are lucky and get it lightly and it goes within a few days or weeks.OR you rare breed that have never got it! But I know many people who have suffered for long periods of time and have trouble getting back to normal. If you discuss shin splints with people the first thing said is always 'You need to land through your toes and get your heels down'. Yes that is true to a certain extent however it is primarily down to the surface you are dancing or exercising on. Dancing on flooring that isn't sprung or semi-sprung can take a toll on your poor shins after a while. I totally understand that most part-time places are often held in village halls or non dance specialized locations therefore the floor isn't designed for dancing on for long periods of time and taking the impact and shock off your legs. Even some professional places still use wooden flooring due to the cost of replacing it therefore it's hard to escape them.

Due to show term at college, its been weeks of intense long days learning choreography in bulk. Most mornings having body conditioning classes to improve our stamina and fitness. There's no surprise that I have been feeling that achy annoying feeling in my shins. I am one not to moan, I usually get on with it and carry on. But recently my shins have been playing up big time and interfering with my performance. So I have been doing a mix and match of things that I believe have helped me. So many people result in going to the doctors where they are simply told to 'rest'. Yes rest is the solution to helping and easing the pain but everyone knows you can't just rest especially when its coming up to a show. I thought I would share what I have been doing to help ease my shins and make they feel better than they did. I am not Doctor Bethany therefore don't take it as 'professional medical advise' purely as methods that have worked for me and have had good results from. Hopefully it will help you guys out. We all would love a magic wand that can cure you in an instant, ooh and a money tree...but that's a separate matter haha. So here it goes... my tips for helping/ getting rid of shin splints.

1. Rest as much as you can.
We all know that is impossible for a busy dancer but obviously don't go over board on extra activities and only do things that are necessary and important. Sometimes that extra workout isn't doing you any favors just while your are recovering and getting back on track.
2. Massage.
A good way to get the muscle relaxed and not as tight. Best tip is to drag your tired body to a family member or partner with that look of distress and pain,smile sweetly and flutter those eyelashes at them asking for a massage on your shins. If that fails you will have to settle for self massage. My friend at college who basically is my mother is the best at giving massages! I don't even have to flutter my eyelashes just simply slump my legs on her lap and she will massage them. Number one friend right there! (Shout out to my twin Bethany MacFadyen) 
2A.Massage Techniques.
Before massaging it's an idea to get the muscle warm with a heat pack or straight after you have exercised as its the muscle that causes the pain and working with cold muscles can sometimes cause more damage. I usually start the massage when I am in a hot bath. In the bath your muscles are warm and relaxed therefore massage is a good start here.You need to massage the muscle that runs either side of the shin bone as that's whats causing you the pain. Using your thumbs you need to apply pressure to the muscle and work your way down the leg flattering out the muscle. If you get to a section where its extra tight and painful, stop at this point and add extra pressure for a few seconds then release. Make sure you work down and up the leg and also across the muscles sideways. Pre-warning that it isn't very comfortable and will hurt... no pain no gain I guess. 
3.Rolling out.
A foam roller is my best friend. Not just for rolling out my shins but for full body massage. I have found that sometimes the cause of shin splints can be due to other muscles around it that are tight. My calf muscles have been extremely tight recently causing my shins to suffer. One night of rolling out my calf's the next day the pain was virtually gone. Foam rollers are miracle workers! There are loads of ways of using the roller that can release tension in places around your body and easing muscle soreness. They are a good way to start the day with, waking up those tired muscles in the studio and preparing you for your day ahead. They get the blood flowing to the muscles without doing high impact cardio. Also they are so easy to get hold of and cheap to buy if you know the right places. I shall put a link below for you!
4.Massage Balls.
These things are also part of my best friend pack. It saves your hands from doing all the work when massaging and creates more pressure when massaging. I have a collection of these which are all different sizes and 'hardness'. Some are more squishy and more gently on your body whereas the blue one I own is just a rock however amazing to use on shins. Simply rolling them up , down and across the shin muscle releasing tension. You can also use them for getting knots out your shoulders and back which are hard to get to. The best way is to place the ball on a wall and lean against it adjusting the ball so its on that spot where its tight or has knot in it. Pressing against the ball and moving in circular movements occasionally holding the pressure against the ball. Again I will put in a link at the bottom where you can buy these for yourself. They are ideal to keep in dance bags and use in breaks. If you are tight on money using a tennis ball works in your favor too!
5.Ice Ice Baby.
When working on any area that is suffering its advised not to over work it and give it time to recover. So ideally no longer than 10-15 mins to avoid causing any more damage. After I have worked on my shins I like to ice them to reduce the swelling and muscle inflammation. I grab few ice packs from the freezer and wrap them in a cloth and sometimes tie them round my shins using socks. Again not over doing it and only keeping them on for another 10-15 mins. This eases the pain and I often do this before I go to bed. 
6.Draining.
Yes I know the life of a dancer is draining emotionally and physically but that comes with the package sorry. I'm talking about draining your muscles at the end of a working day. Most people don't cool down after class, admittedly I don't do it but its equally as important as warming up at the start of a class.So why don't we do it? Time I guess. Once you have finished class you are all hot and sweaty and just want to get out your damp clothes. Hungry as well so the next step would be finding food to eat. Therefore cooling down is the last thing on your mind. Most teachers don't include a cool down at the end but you can't blame them as class time goes so quickly. Although it doesn't stop you hanging back for 5-10 mins reducing the heart rate slowly and stretching out your muscles, even if you have to do it in the corridor. I am consciously trying to cool down after my day has finished now just to help my muscles repair faster and so I am more efficient the next day.  Another thing you can do is to lay on your back and rest your legs against a wall. Just lay there for 10-15 mins and the blood will rush away from your muscles. Your draining your muscles of toxins as well which build up when we exercise. Your toes may go tingly and feel like you have pins and needles but that's just the lack of blood to them. As soon as you stand up new blood with rush to your lower half flushing out the old blood and hopefully the toxins. You can do this during breaks between classes and I totally recommend doing this at the end of your day.

So they are my methods of helping shin splints or any other muscle soreness around the body. They seem to work for me so why not give one of them a go or all of them. Let me know how you get on? Shin splints are never fun to have and just ruin the enjoyment of dancing. Especially if you have to sit out as they are causing you so much pain. The links are below for where you can buy massage balls and foam rollers...


Hope this blog post was useful to read. Remember to follow me on instagram-simplybethany__ 
and on twitter- bethanytrower. Feel free to ask me any questions and I always appreciate feedback :) Share and like this and spread the word for me. 
With Love Always
B
x

Comments