Budapest Photo Diary


When people say where did you go away and I respond by saying Budapest I always get the catchy yet annoying at times George Ezra song Budapest sung to me at full volume, Yes thank you for that. That's all people really know about it. That a musician has sung about it. Admittedly my knowledge of this city wasn't great so I wanted to know more and why George had written this song and raved about it. The more I read about it and did my research the more  I wanted to visit. This city was gorgeous. The buildings, the views where just stunning. I couldn't wait to explore myself. So that's when we booked to go away over Valentines 2017. Well me booking it and informing Luke that he was going on another adventure with me and to make sure he wasn't working for those three days I had booked to go away.  We're going to Budapest baby.




So where do we start. A good place is a base. Where did we stay? This hotel was such a gem and good find. I had booked this trip using the website last minuet .com as you could combine your flights and hotel at the same time. I just think it's easier and works out cheaper usually. So the hotel we stayed in was called 'Hotel Moments'. It was stunning! This was probably the best hotel I have stayed in ever, Luke thought we was in the wrong place haha.  The staff were so welcoming and very helpful and the room was to die for, I honestly couldn't fault this place. The buffet breakfast was everything you could ever want which is good for foodies like me and Luke. There was also free coffee and tea in the foyer area so we took full advantage of this after having a long day walking around the city and welcomed by amazing coffee. A nice end to the day was getting to use the hotels sauna, it seemed no one even knew it was there so every time we used it we had the luxury of it all to ourselves. 






The hotel was situated in the heart of Budapest so we had easy access to all the places we wanted to visit. It is located down Andrassy Avenue, which is well known in Budapest with 'Hero's Square ' located at the very end of it. The hotel is towards the start of the Avenue among lots of designer shops, a bit like a oxford street of Budapest. We got a bus and metro to the hotel which only took about 30- 40 mins and so easy to use. However when returning to the airport  the hotel had arranged a taxi for us which was stress free and good to just sit back and relax while someone does the navigating. 



Grab your coat and scarf and lets go for an adventure around Budapest. Of course I had planned our days and made sure we had seen everything I wanted. The first day we got there about 12:00 so we dumped our bags in our hotel room and went straight out for a wander to get our bearings. We had a walk along the Danube river taking in both sides of the river, Buda and Pest side then went to find food. What a surprise. I was excited for the next two full days and seeing the rest of Budapest.




The more of Budapest we saw the more I fell in love with it. The buildings were all so different and unique in there own way. I wish I could of photographed every building a shared all of there beauty to everyone. It's one thing looking at photographs of a city or building but once your there and taking it all in its completely different and kinda gives me the shivers. 




We must of crossed the Chain Bridge a few times just because it was the best way to get from the two sides of the city and just because it was so beautiful and photogenic. I couldn't help myself, even if Luke stormed ahead looking for more food. I read someones blog before going the Budapest and she wrote about people 'locking there love ' to the chain bridge. I know most cities have loads of padlocks clipped to them and I hadn't made my mark anywhere yet so now was the time, It was Valentines day as well so thought it would be super 'cute' and 'romantic'  to do this as well. I got our padlock made by someone on Amazon for super cheap as well and had it engraved with our names and the date. So if you ever in Budapest, go and see if you can find our padlock. I'll give you a clue, its up high, on a light, on the pillar closest to the Pest side. Go find our names, and hopefully its still there and hasn't been taken down haha. 





We took the 'Funicular' up Buda castle getting a single fare and walked down afterwards. We explored the Buda side, so Buda castle, Matthias Church, Fisherman's Bastion and the views of the Pest side of Budapest. Unfortunately while we was there we had very foggy weather which didn't give us the greatest of views but it still didn't ruin the trip and the experience being there. It was so nice to just stop and watch the world go bye. Take in the view and hear all the sounds coming from below us. It doesn't happen often in our every day life that we can afford to stop what we are doing and take in our surroundings.




We was both starving hungry. No surprise there. But we had been walking around for hours in the cold weather so our body did deserve a good meal. We headed to an indoor market. I had read about it prior to our trip and was keen to explore it. We hopped on a yellow tram (Buda Side) and went along the Danube river and got off at the Liberty Bridge (green one). We crossed to bridge and the market was on our right hand side. You couldn't miss it, trust me. This markets was hugggeeee. I have never seen anything like it. It had everything you could ever want. Fresh fruit, veg... We wandered around looking for something we could eat. But no luck I was starting to wonder if we would have to look else where. But we didn't give up and decided to explore the 2nd floor and boom we found takeaway stalls selling food. 'I told you so' I whispered in Luke's ear just so he knew I had done my research correctly and I had stuck to my word about feeding him. There was so much choice but we went for the traditional / famous food in Budapest. Langos. You can have it sweet or savory, so we went for the biggest thing there and shared it. It was amazingggg. I wasn't feeling my best and my appetite wasn't as normal but this seemed to perk me up and got me feeling good and nourished again.  We even popped into the Aldi that was was below ground in the market to get some sweet treats for our room later.




This was probably the highlight of our trip. I was so excited when reading about Budapest and how they have thermal baths that are warmed by natural springs. I wasn't sure which of the baths to go to but I ended up picking the 'Szechenyi Baths'. Basically because it was at the end of Andrassy Avenue where we was staying and also I wanted to combine the visit with seeing stuff that was located at the end of the Avenue like Hero's square etc. The baths were breath taking. We spent half a day relaxing in all the different pools. We mainly stayed in the outdoor one, which was the hottest one however it was recommended that you only stayed in that particular pool for 20 mins however we way over exceeded that limit, opps. There was also indoor pools, all shapes and sizes. They were all different temperatures and were meant to do different things. Huge steam and sauna rooms with showers with funky lights and jets. You was probably meant to do the different baths in a certain way but we ended up clinging to the boiling hot one and me pushing Luke into the plunge pool. We did the baths on the last day of our trip so it left us feeling so relaxed for our flight home and we left on such a high. Top tip - make sure you bring flip flops and towels. Although we stole ours from our hotel.


Oh Budapest you are nearly number one on my list of places I have visited so far. It was very similar to places we have visited  before but it just had that extra something. They had the cherry on top. There wasn't anything I could say that I didn't like or wouldn't do again. It made my valentines day so lovely as I got to spent it with my one and only. Much love to Luke for being my personal photographer and learning on the job and also following me around with my crazy plans. I wouldn't want to be travelling the world with anyone else though, I will 100% be returning to this gem of a city. I would love to bring my mum and treat ourselves to a weekend of spas and baths. That would be so nice. Maybe in the future I shall arrange a trip for me and her. Anyway if you not sure in booking this trust me it won't disappoint. The views are stunning and everything is super cheap as a bonus! Feel free to ask me any questions about my trip or if you are planning of going away any time soon. If not head over to my YouTube channel where I have uploaded my Budapest travel video that will give you more of an insight of the time we had away there. I shall link it below for you.Thank you again for you support.