What yoga has taught me so far...


Yoga has become a big part of my life in the past 6 months, may even be more than that. Not only my life but Luke's as well, which brings such happiness to me as practicing with someone just makes it so much better. If you read my blogs (when I do actually write blog posts) you may know or not know I practice Bikarm Yoga. Its a type of yoga where you practice the same 26 postures, in a room that is 35-40 degrees for an hour and a half. When people ask they often think we are mad and couldn't think of anything worse but the addiction is real. You ask any Bikram yoga fan. I crave the heat daily, especially in the winter when the light disappears quickly and the days and nights are cold. Sweat pouring from my pours and the release of toxins from daily life dripping away. Finally the endorphins that release after class and the pure sense of lightness and general happiness. Walking on cloud nine out of that studio and ready for the week ahead of me. I have been reflecting on all the benefits yoga has given to me and the new ones it continues to give. There are so many but id thought I would share a few with you.

Yoga has taught me... to respect your body and be proud of the body you live in. I know it sounds obvious but yoga has really installed it in me. Growing up dancing all my life and being so unconfident with my body the older I got it took the love of dancing away from me. I would despise my body some much some days I couldn't even bare to look in the mirror and would feel so unconfident in my dancing scared of what people thought of me. It saddens me that so many go through this and get no help. Fortunately I have come out the other side of this and yoga has shifted my views massively. I now stand proud in front of that mirror in the yoga studio loving every part of my body. I am proud of how strong my body is that not only helps in my yoga practice but in general life. Everyone is unique and have there assets. Of course there are days when Im not feeling 100% but I defiantly don't get them real lows I used to get which I feel is all down to yoga. Thank you Yoga.

Yoga has taught me... that I am mentally stronger that I thought. Most days I put myself through a hot sweaty session usually after teaching some classes during the day. There does get a point in the class that can vary depending on how your feeling that day when you hit a wall. The heat has got to you, you are starting to feel tired may even dizzy but you find that mental strength from somewhere and push through to the end. Of course we are encouraged to take breaks during the class if you feel dizzy and sick but most of the time its the fatigue that gets to me which I know I can push through mentally but may require some extra encouragement. A teacher once said 'If you can survive a yoga class for 90 mins in 35 degrees heat, you can survive anything!' I do believe this is true, its a real mental teaser and once you have finished the class you feel on top of the world and feel like you can conquer anything. Even if you have take the late class and it was now 10:00pm.  Throw anything at me and I will give it a good go for sure.

Yoga has taught me... that I am actually very bendy compared to the 'normal person'. As I mentioned I have danced all my life, and one thing I was confident in was my ease of movement due to my flexibility. I did work on my flexibility but not massively. I would always see pictures and videos of people with huge flexibility and want to strive to that and feel like I am not flexible enough, when really I was. Now teaching everyday  I do basic stretching with the kids but nothing too extensive therefore I wasn't doing a lot. Although practicing yoga most poses I am able to get in them with ease and I like the challenge of seeing if my body will get in those postures. I have kept my flexibility and every time I practice I am getting stronger. Luke's flexibility has come on so much! Its so good being able to see the progress he has made even if he doesn't notice it as much. Its funny how he now puts on his socks standing up and being able to balance with ease on one leg. 

Yoga has taught me... compassion is everything. Making new friendships just brings so much more to life. I am usually quiet shy when around new people and won't make conversation just in case I say the wrong thing. But practicing yoga daily I come across regular studio visitors who I now speak with and enjoy speaking to. They are all ages, practicing yoga for different time scales and reasons. It great constantly meeting new people and sharing mine and their stories. Luke is more chatty than me and will talk to anyone with ease which I admire greatly and try throw myself in as often as I can. By doing this I have built up a mass of confidence in talking with people and I truly do feel such a difference. It not only helps with my social life but with my work as well. 

Yoga has taught me... life is too short to worry. Make use of everyday. But not to go mad and burn yourself out. Give your body time to rest. Away from the busy world, especially social media. I am still learning but part of a Bikram class is to lay on your back and just relax. Don't fiddle, stare at one spot on the ceiling and fix your eyes and don't move. Don't wipe the sweat dripping, or fix your costume or hair, just sit still. Once done that move onto the mental part. Clear your mind of everything and just focus on your breathing. Any thoughts that creep into your head get rid of them. Don't think about what you are doing for the rest of the day or even week, to do lists, what your having for dinner, nothing in your head. That's the hardest part for me but when I achieve this for sometimes 20 or 30 seconds it really makes a difference and gives my brain time to switch off and relax.

Yoga is continuing to teach me new things everyday. About life and most importantly about myself. I am so glad I have fallen into this peaceful enlightened world of yoga and excited for the future. I remember taking regular yoga class when studying at college and we would complain and snigger that it was weird and not beneficial at all and we would rather be doing a street or commercial class. I guess it was an age thing and not being connected with my body and able to open up and let go. But I'm glad I have now found yoga and I am able to share my practice with my loved ones and help others to get connected and share the experience.