'Sick Note'

The winter weather is finally starting to creep in, I am wrapped up before I even leave the house, hat, scarf, coat and gloves you name it. I am one for feeling the cold therefore staying warm this winter is number one on the list when leaving my nice warm house. Unfortunately not through my practical behavior of wrapping up warm I haven't developed this sickness from that, instead my first few months of working basically full time with kids and welcoming the snotty noses and illness that comes with the cuteness and joy of teaching. Since leaving college I teach kids dance everyday, teaching all age groups. I mainly teach younger kids, so 4 years old and below, which screams breeding ground for germs. It's just one of those things that comes with the jobs of getting ill and as my mother said over time my immune system will become immune to these things and I hopefully fingers crossed won't get ill as often. As I am writing this post currently fed up of being ill on day four of illness and feeling sorry for myself, I thought I'd come up with a survival list for this winter when feeling a bit under the weather and in need of comfort so close to Christmas. Let's face it, no one wants to be feeling rubbish around Christmas, we have our yearly duty to each as much as we can and get to lay around enjoying the endless food, presents and basically feeling like kings and queens. Well that's what I get up to on my Christmas day... So hear it goes, a few top tips to help you make that speedy recovery.  

* Fill them up god dam it
You may have noticed that is the title of my of my other blog posts about hydration and how essential it is (if you haven't already read it, make sure you check it out) Anyway, when you are feeling unwell fluids are so important to help you on the road to recovery. You need to bombard yourself with water to help shift that nasty thing that is taking over your body and making you feel crappy. Cold water will also sooth your throat and hopefully shift anything that is building up in the back of your throat. Also I like to make a lemon and honey drink morning and night to help again to sooth your throat. Just add two teaspoons of lemon and then two teaspoons of honey to hot water and give it a stir. Keep repeating this process, it will defiantly help, especially in the morning when you feel worse. Keeping hydrated normally is essential but when your unwell your body needs extra attention and taking care of, make sure you don't deprive it of its natural thing. As soon as I have finished a bottle or glass, I straight away re fill it to make sure I am getting enough and not going for long periods of time without it.

* Bath me baby
Feeling crappy, have a good soak in the bath. (if you have one that is)- If not forget this tip and move to next haha. But if you do, running a hot bath and filling it with lots of bubbles is the best way to relax and warm up. I hate it when your unwell and no matter how many layers you put on you are still freezing cold. Dipping into a warm bath and gently closing your eyes will hopefully make you feel slightly better. Although don't do what I did yesterday and made it too hot and put the heater on making me over heat and having the sit on my bedroom floor to let my pulse go down and body to cool down...oppps. It's best to get out of bed in the morning and having a nice bath or shower to take that edge off in the morning when you feel like death. Also if you have had the hot sweats like I've had for the past two nights, it's nice to feel clean again and to get out of those unwell clothes you have been laying in all day and night.

*Lock me away
Now I wasn't very good at this one these past few days, probably why I haven't got better and now on day four of the unwell phase. Okay I had things to do and I wasn't out in the cold very long but I should of been resting in bed and doing nothing. To be honest I did find myself out and having the hot sweat phrases and truth be told that was't nice or comfortable, especially when you are around others and trying to act as normal as you can. I even got one of my younger students asking why my voice was different, that's how you know when you should't be out. Trust me, trying to herd 15 nursery kids into a circle with a limiting volume of voice is very hard. Don't try it folks. So when you are not well, please please try and get some rest. Your body desperately needs it. It's no use trying to get on with your normal routine as your body won't be able to keep up and it will make you worse in the long run. Although a little fresh air won't kill you, just make sure you take it easy and let your body time to recover and get the rest it needs.

So there you have it, a quick reminder to look after your body when you not at your best. I'm not one for getting ill often but when I do my whole body likes to go into shut down mode and it takes me 3-4 days to get over it. I have learnt to listen to my body, fuel it with things it needs and give it time and lots of sleep to get back on track. The more attention you give it and not pushing it aside like an unwanted task the longer your take to get better. If you have any tips of your own you wanted to share for how you help to get over these unwanted illnesses, just comment in the box below, I'm sure you have some secrets of your own. If you have enjoyed this blog post make sure you share it to friends and check out some of my other posts. Or give me a follow on YouTube - Bethany Trower. Thank you again for your support and love.