TO DO LIST : AMSTERDAM

If you live in London/ England like me getting around Europe is sooo easy and relativity cheap. We can just hop on a plane and be somewhere within hours. We are lucky we can do this so why not explore Europe with cheap deals? I admit I am at the age where all I want to do is explore and see the world but also having to work those pooey hours just to make enough for your spending money. But your 20's is apparently the age to do everything so why just be boring and not get out. As I have just returned from my trip in Amsterdam I thought I would share my 'to do list' in case you decided to explore this beaut of a city.

1// Use Public Transport 
I know number one seems a bit obvious or a weird one but I know many people are scared to use the transport system e.g getting a taxi from the airport straight to your hotel instead of getting the local metro/ train or tram. I admit the first time I went away without my parents I was pooping my pants but I made sure I have planned it before the trip and got stuck in even if we thought we was going the wrong way on the metro.. Amsterdam's public transport runs so smoothly its such a blessing and you get used to it within hours. The trams offer 1, 2 and even 3 day passes so its a one off payment and you can ride them all way round the city. Although note to others that the 3 day passes are only available on the machines and can not be purchased on the tram. By navigating using the public transport I found gives you a boost of confidence that stays with you when visiting other countries. Also a sense of achievement going out your comfort zone and embracing the travel lifestyle.  

2// Foodie
I found that Amsterdam doesn't really have a local dish or food, its a city therefore in the center its packed with waffle shops, cake shops, takeaway kinda foods. Of course all these food are yummy and there not to be missed but don't go there thinking you have to try this or eat this because your there. The only thing that was nearly everywhere was chip shops or 'Frites' where they cover them in mayonnaise. It sounds basic or disgusting to some but it actually was quite nice and the mayonnaise taste so much nicer out there (hoping it was mayonnaise) + it was probably full of sugar and salt. So give them a try! Another thing to try are these pizza things with a sausage bunged in the middle.. ideal for a lunch date.We kinda ate a mix and match of foods, by the end of the trip going for the cheapest and watching what we spent. The last meal at the airport was the good old 'Burger King'! 

3// Canal Boat Trip
Yes Amsterdam is known for its winding canals and bridges that cross them so doing a boat trip is a must. It sounds touristy and something everyone does but its something you cannot miss doing. It's the best way to see the full city without walking all of it and missing back streets. Also it shows the floating houses that you cannot visit by foot. If you get the good weather make sure you go for the less tourist boats and ones without a roof, so you can sit back or lay back and watch Amsterdam go by in the sunshine. They weren't expensive either, ours was 15 euros for an hour trip and the driver did such a good tour. They are really regular too so you can do them at any time of the day. It was tempting to do a tour at night as Amsterdam is beautiful at night but I love my camera shots too much and in the day I felt like I would get more. Although if I had money to spare or if I went back I would defo do a night tour.  

4// Heineken Factory
Now as I have mentioned before I am not a beer drinker, well not a drinker really full stop. I have never really been interested and as I've got older I haven't felt the need to have a drink socially. It doesn't make a difference if I have apple juice or a alcoholic drink, I don't feel less social and involved. But enough about my drinking habits and onto the Heineken factory. It doesn't matter if your not a drinker in my eyes, the overall experience is enough and learning how they make it and how it all started is pretty interesting. I kinda wanted to compare it to the Guinness Factory in Dublin Ireland as I had read that it was crap compared to that and not worth it. But I was totally the opposite, the factory had so much to it and was equally as good as Guinness one. I poured my own point in Dublin so I had to do it again in Amsterdam and not blowing my own trumpet I was pretty good. (Check it out on my Amsterdam video on YouTube if you don't believe me) My tip would be to to get your tickets from one of the tourist information that are EVERYWHERE, ours worked out to be 15 euros each which was pretty good and way cheaper than the Guinness factory. Oh and to get there early to avoid queuing.

5// Museums 
I'm not a museums kinda gal and wanted to do the main things first then if we had time and money we would go to one. The only one we went to was the Sex Museum which was only 8 euros anyway! or was it less? I cannot remember. That was an experience and something to see while your in Amsterdam and embracing that culture. People always ask if I went to the Anne Frank house and nope I didn't. Firstly its a mission getting tickets, from 9 till like 3 or something its only online tickets then from 3 people queue outside to get in and the line everyday is ridiculous! The only way to get them is book them a few days in advance otherwise your be queuing for hours! If I did go back I think I would try go there but for this trip I didn't wanna waste half a day for something and waste it. Obviously there are other museums you can visit but it didn't interest me.

6// Amsterdam by night
It's crazy how Amsterdam is this city that has two sides to it. By day its this beautiful calm city with pebbled streets, hanging baskets and a dirty canal haha but by night the lights come on and Amsterdam is not so sweet and innocent no more. Red lights fill the streets (well in the Red Light District) and bars and cafes are more busy than normal. It's something to experience and not shy away from, you won't see this anywhere else and its safe to go out. People often relate darkness to being unsafe but now Amsterdam is tourist central its something worth seeing. Your going to see the stag do parties out and groups of lads on holiday so it kinda turns it into a party scene. We just avoided crowded areas and went to places like 'Rick's Coffee place' and had a chilled evening.

7// Riding a bike
Amsterdam is known for bikes everywhere and the bridges covered in them. When crossing a road its such a task trying not to get run over! You have to look out for trams, cars, bikes, motorbikes and people. Its crazy! The people who live there are not fazed by the busy roads and it just seems to work. Although you would see less cars on the road and more bikes which is always a good thing. Right renting a bike, our hotel was offering bike rental for 10 euros a day I believe which was pretty good compared to some companies. The day we was going to hire them, the weather was a bit iffy therefore we didn't and did something else. My only advice is make sure you have a lock to lock it up and take suitable clothing and footwear. Other than that using a bike is a great way to get around the city just look out for trams!!

8// Parks - Vondelpark & Markets 
The weather can be gorgeous in the summer months in Amsterdam and this is a good opportunity to visit one of there parks. On our last day, Luke and I had some time to kill before going to the airport so we went to the local supermarket, grabbed some food and drink and took it the park Vondelpark. It was so lovely laying in the sunshine and eating of course. If you have a spare afternoon its worth relaxing and getting away from the busy center. I love tat (my dad often says) flea markets are perfect for this. We visited the Waterloopin fleamarket which had a hugeeee vintage store next to it! And the Bloemenmarket which is a beautiful flower market, although we had to have a quick look as Lukey needed a wee wee. 

9// Ripley's Believe It or Not
If you have a spare morning / afternoon take a visit to the Ripley's museum. It had just opened when we went (August 2016) therefore they were giving out discount vouchers so we got in cheap. I have never been to the one in London so I have nothing to compare it too, but it had loads of floors filled with unique things that you would never believe, funny enough haha. Its a good family thing to do as well so young kids would love it. Yes and big kids like myself, Luke, Charlie and Kirsty. We spent and good morning / mid afternoon in there but lunchtime was calling so we left searching for food. Its located in Dam square literally next door to the Madame Tussauds Museum, so you cannot miss it. 

10// Good old fashioned walking
To sum up Amsterdam, its a very small city that you can easily do in two days if you cram everything in. If you are only there for 48 hours, make the most of it and plan what you want to do. We went for 4 days which I admit was a bit long however I didn't feel rushed or pressured to do everything and not miss major things. We was able to do one or two things a day have a nap late afternoon then get ready and go out for dinner and drinks in the evening. I admit we was still tired, as city breaks are often a lot of walking and sleeping is no problem but overall I think we experienced the city and got to do everything we wanted. It was nice to just walk and take in everything around you without having a mission to go somewhere at a certain time. The last day Luke & I found ourselves just wandering and finding back streets and quieter areas of the city by chance, which was so beautiful and calm. 

So there you have it, my to do list for Amsterdam. Overall I loved the city and spending time with new people. I would love to come back but for a shorter time and maybe in a different season? I will write my hotel details below if you want a cheap hotel ideal for students or younger crowd. Our stay was pleasant with no problems with noise and the hotel was so quirky and unique(like an IKEA store)

Hotel : The Student Hotel West. 
10 mins from the city center by tram and 15 mins from the Airport.

Airline: easyJet from Stansted Airport.

Don't forget to check out my YouTube video to get the full affect of Amsterdam - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bI5FNuh26U