DAY THREE

BUCKWHEAT, BUCKWHEAT , BUCKWHEAT!

Hey, Hi, Yo. I am writing this post from my garden.. yes you read that right, I am outside in England and the British weather is gorgeous! Now I know I didn't post anything yesterday but that was because I was super busy and by the time I got home I was pretty much ready for bed!  but fear no more here is my post about day three of making a recipe a day from 'Deliciously Ella'. The recipe I picked today (well yesterday) was a salad dish as I had the leftover green smoothie for breakfast I had made the day before. The salad was called ' A Spring Salad', perfect for this time of the year, beautiful colours and so so so easy to make. I actually couldn't believe it, that's all everyone in my house kept hearing 'and its so easy to make!'. I was so proud of it and how it tasted I made everyone try it, if the cat liked buckwheat she would of got some in her bowl... Enough of how it tasted let me tell you how I made it .

The salad posing against the wood background showing
off her colours well...

The Grass look, to match the fresh spring look..





















*P.S I am not being serious with those captions underneath the pictures, I was trying to be funny.. Anyways going back to how I made this bad boy and what it has in it. So all the salad was made up of was buckwheat, mix beans, grated carrots, grated ginger, lemon, turmeric, and then a handful of lettuce leaves. Told you it was easy! All these ingredients you can find in your local supermarket and if you get a big bag of buckwheat it will last you a while. The mixed beans you can buy in cans but just make sure you get the ones in water (check the label before.. i've made that mistake) So I started off measuring the buckwheat, now I had never had it before but I guessed it was a lot like Quiona. Yes it was , but nicer and thicker. On the recipe it said a 1/3 of a cup, however I really should research the 'typical' cup size as at the moment I am just using the cup my dad uses for rice quantities.Opps. I didn't do a third I did just over half a cup...Too much eeekkk! but you learn from your mistakes and it just meant I got another portion out of it, so I could have more the next day or I have just made someone else s lunch.  So yes bunged the buckwheat into the pan and added boiling water to it, about 3 cups and let that simmer. While that was cooking I grated a carrot and some ginger into a bowl to add later. The recipe said to use 1/2 a can of black beans, however I added mixed beans to give it more flavor and a different variety of beans I guess. I didn't really need to drain them so left them with the carrot and ginger to add after. Time to find the turmeric, now as I am new to cooking I had to have a good look for the turmeric. Pulling all the spices out the spice cupboard, yes we have that many spices they have a cupboard dedicated to them,I found it. yey. I do hope my dad doesn't keep them in a special way like alphabetical or something because they were just put back in any old way. oh well. So I didn't have a lemon, so I used lemon juice in a bottle instead. But something always has to go wrong with me.. I ran out of lemon juice and only got a dribble out of it... brilliant... And only after my dad gets home does he tell me that two are hidden in the top cupboard... now who's playing hide and seek now? Once the buckwheat was soft and had absorbed all the water I added 1/2 a tea spoon of the turmeric into the pan, dropping it all over the sides and cooker in the process.. messy pup! Then added the grated carrot, ginger and mixed beans giving that a stir. The beans don't really need heating therefore I didn't keep them in the pan long just to simply warm them and slightly soften, but that depends on preference. I got the large lettuce leaves and lined the bowel with them and then added the buckwheat mixture and adding some grated carrot to the top.  So basically everything gets chucked in the pan at the end. Fin! Time to eat with a green tea. 

The salad tasted so nice, it was defiantly a change from the boring salads I have been making! It was so filling as well. Next time I would add a lot more lemon to it and maybe try adding avocado and pomegranates to see if it changes the taste. (which were an optional/ additional add to the salad) But overall I am so happy with how this turned out, and I loved how it was a warm salad. However preparing it the night before and taking it to college the next day would be an option and I'm sure will taste equally as nice. So yeh, another successful dish that will go on my list for lunches and will be doing this again very soon. Why don' you give it a try yourself? I will put the link below so you can have a look. Feel free to contact me asking any questions... Make sure you follow me on the rest of my journey and see what I will be making next time. Email-bethtrower@hotmail.co.uk. Twitter-bethanytrower.

http://deliciouslyella.com/recipe/a-spring-salad/ - here's the link you beautiful people. 

Lots of love always

B
x

Comments